Food And Depression


You hear it all over the media nowadays, how everyone is more depressed than ever.  You’ll hear it blamed on stress, lack of communication, lack of exercise, isolation from other people or loved ones, being isolated from the great outdoors, and more.
And yes, all those factors can lead to a general malaise, or a full-blown depressive episode: that goes without a doubt.
But how many of you think that what you’re eating can be a trigger for depression?
It’s true: depression is primarily a condition that has inflammation as a cause.  And the primary cause of inflammation, which is the underlying factor in most “diseases of modern society” like cancer, cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes,and more, is reactions to what we’re eating.
And, inflammation has also been linked by many to a number of neurological disorders such as depression, as well as schizophrenia, ADHD, Autism, and Alzheimer’s disease.
One of the things that really helped me was doing an elimination diet for 30 days, where I removed pro-inflammatory foods from my normal intake.  This helped to halt the inflammation I was feeling throughout my body and also to create much more clarity of thought and a more improved mood.
The foods I removed were anything made with grains,  dairy, sugar, and any processed by-products of those foods like seed oils (especially soybean, canola, sunflower, safflower, and peanut oils).
I ate veggies, a little fruit, nuts, healthy fats like coconut olive oil, and drank only water.  After that thirty days was up, I felt completely changed – I had a better outlook on life in general (and ended up losing around 40 pounds in the process, which also can’t help but cheer you up!).
After the 30 days were up, I carefully experimented with which foods made me lose some of those benefits – and discovered that for me the gluten-containing grains such as wheat, barley, and rye were the worst for me.
They ruined my mood, threw me back into mood swings, and generally made me feel less clear about things.  They also made me feel arthritic, another sign of inflammation.  Other grains such as corn weren’t quite as bad, but they weren’t anything I wanted to keep in my diet regularly.  White rice was fine.  A small amount of dairy also turned out to be okay for me in moderation.
This kind of effort, a 30-day elimination challenge, can really teach you a lot about how your body reacts to the foods you eat regularly.   It’s a great step for proper mindfulness and body awareness that is frequently missing from a modern lifestyle, not just from the feeling you’ll get from eliminating those toxic substances from your body but als
o the very act of taking such a challenge and paying attention to your body’s reactions to food.


UPDATE Todate March 2015 I have lost 85 pounds

If you would like more information call me 9543944980

Follow My Blog I Am A Big Loser